Thursday, December 6, 2012

Christmas Vignette

My fireplace is in a pretty sad state: our large tv is the focal point and cords are everywhere, we painted over dirty old brick, no practical mantel exists, and at the moment it is highly baby proofed.  I have attempted to decorate it and look beyond and it's good enough but really not worth a post.  Therefore, I thought I would share this media console that I've decorated as a Christmas Vignette instead:

Broken Glass Wreath

I didn't realize it while I snapped this picture, but I think it is kind of funny that our puppy's mugshot has been highlighted/framed by the wreath.  Doesn't she look sweet?


Before I move on, I thought I would share my inspiration picture with you for this media table.  Has anyone seen this picture on Pinterest?


I fell in love with it immediately.  I realize there is nothing practical about this.  In fact, I think that is what my Pin says, "So practical...but I love anyway."  So let's just say there is nothing practical about my media table vignette, either, particularly since I have two little ones at home.  So I doubt this will last very long, but I thought it was pretty for the time being.

Here is mine:

Mercury Glass


A view into the dining room:


As I did with my Christmas Tablescape that I blogged about here, I used only what I had on hand. I started by adding this large mirror that has been sitting in a closet since we moved in 3 1/2 years ago. The second I put it on this table, I wondered why I never thought of it before. We have a lot of windows in our front room. I love windows. I love light. Why not make it X 2? 




Sitting in that same closet was this lovely broken glass wreath (I think it is from Pier One).  I tied it up with a silver and gold scarf that I have.  I tend to use this scarf around the holidays a lot so I kind of miss it right now.  Sacrifices. 


It was kind of a dreary day when I took these pictures, which is sad because today is so sunny and we have the best light right now. So we went out to enjoy the day, not sit home so mom can re-take some pictures.   My point being that these pictures are a bit overexposed, oh well.....others might say blurry.  I promise they aren't all like this.
  
I think I will have to hang the mirror and make this a semi-permanent home for it. Here is a quick picture of this area during the fall, how it has been for the past several years:


And now:


I like the mirror better, right?  As an aside, we are repainting this room as soon as time will allow.  It is grey.  Accept that when my sister in law first stepped foot in this room she said "oh, you painted the room in lavender!"  I should have repainted it then.  Or maybe after my next guest made the same comment.  But alas, here we are 3 1/2 years later and I'm still counting on the day that I can repaint my grey room a creamy shade of white.


For Christmas, I swapped out the throw and added some even fuzzier white pillows than what was there before.

I "borrowed" two glass lamps from another area of the house (which happens to be kind of dark right now) to add some more sparkle.  I think I've said this once or twice on this blog, but I like sparkle. 



I then grabbed mercury glass balls and extra ornaments and laid them across the table.  I also grabbed a glass cake pedestal from my china cabinet at an attempt to add a "step up" like my inspiration photo.


I then added a few votives and tea candles, and called it a day. 

 

Thanks for stopping by!  If you like what you see, I'd love to hear it or have you follow along with me!

9 comments:

  1. Hi Dawn...just wanted to say hello and thank you for sharing your beautiful home with us. I'm your newest fan...welcome to blogging ! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh...you might want to turn 'word verification' off comments,it makes it more difficult for people to leave you messages....just a suggestion.

    http://www.craftberrybush.com/2012/10/i-love-you-buthow-to-remove-word.html here is a link showing you how to do it in case you decide to do so...xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! Thanks for stopping by and for hosting the link party!

      I had no idea I had word verification turned on; I did not think that it was. I will turn it off. And thanks for the link - I will need the help, as I seem to be a bit blogger challenged in areas.

      Have a wonderful weekend.

      Delete
  3. I love your style, Dawn!
    I am pinning this to our Holiday Organizing & Decorating Board!
    You've inspired me to add some more ornaments to my vignettes!
    Have a very merry Christmas!!
    Blessing and joy to you as you make your home!
    ~Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dawn, your house looks so pulled together and festive! I still have bins everywhere.. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucy....the bins just move from room to room as I take pictures. :)

      Delete
  5. Your home is beautiful! Love your blog and I'm your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is just gorgeous, that wreath is amazing! Featuring next week.
    XO
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree, the mirror has a new permanent home!

    ReplyDelete