Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Changes in 2014

I've made a lot of promises that I haven't kept on this blog of mine!  Most recently I promised to share Christmas pictures from around the house.... never got to it! 

(Picture taken at Christmas time.  This wreath is still hanging since it is "winter-y."  That's my little artist, painting away)

So, I'm done making promises.  However, I'm ready to break my blog silence.  I think after so long away, I've had trouble deciding where to start.  Lot's of post ideas are running through my head.  Although the blog has been silent, I still have lots going on around my house as well as client design projects I'd like to share.  I'm just going to have to make the jump back into this game.

If you stick around to read this blog in 2014, here is a glimpse of what you can expect to on the home front.  I'm focused on adding the finishing touches to our home.  At any given time, I have at least 5 - 7 near term household projects floating around in this head of mine.  We've already started knocking away at a few of them this year (err, we hired out help).  So far, we've updated our fireplace mantle:


We are waiting on a Statuary Marble slab and surround, but the change so far has been dramatic; just check out the before pictures below:


The above is two photos I "merged" from the real estate listing.  Just in case you don't believe me here is another picture right after we moved in and had made some pretty major updates (new electric, new drywall, new floors, etc.):


Using the same contractor (Jim's Handyman Services, if you happen to be in the western 'burbs of Chicago), we added a built in bench with storage to our family room (on which I happen to be sitting as I type):


Ok, this is a really poor instagram shot but it's all I've got.  As an aside, you can follow me on Instagram here where I share home projects/client updates in real time.  Anyway, we really enjoy having an extra table for breakfast / lunch (this room is open to our kitchen).  It is nice to have the additional storage for toys/legos/art supplies.  There are more additions in store for this room as well, so stay tuned.  

Most of my household projects involve adding the finishing touches to our home, including window treatments, art, and organizational systems.  

(our master bedroom, with new rug and window treatments)

However, the biggest ongoing project is a bit of a re-design in our living room.  I will dedicate another post reviewing all of my plans at a later date, but it all started with the purchase of this sofa:


(colorwise this shot of the room is bland right now, but I have plans to add in a lot more interest very soon!)

I hope to be back later this week to share a few shots from recent client projects!

6 comments:

  1. welcome back.....looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, blogging is one of those things.. You love it and hate to stop but then there are paying clients and family needs, health issues, etc and something has to go.. Glad you're back! I did miss you, you know!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your style and can't wait to see what 2014 brings for Inspired Living. And I'm glad your back!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Dawn! I have a lot to catch up on. And that fireplace mantel is AMAZING! We want to do something similar at our house, but I just haven't bit the bullet yet. That looks so good. And do you have any befores of your family room, pre-built in bench? Would also love to see that - and now I need to go follow you on IG! Welcome back - I also took a break as well but hope to be back more regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to see you're back at it. I missed reading your blog each week. Love the fireplace makeover by the way!

    ReplyDelete